Sunday, January 30, 2011

What if we are all wrong?

I've spent the last several days in bed with my husband.
Now, don't go all bugged eye on me- we have the flu. While I love snuggling my man as much as the next person, this was not what I had in mind all those times I've dreamt of taking a vacation in my bed and PJs!!

I had my kleenex and laptop so that when opening my eyes didn't hurt too bad, I could catch up on blogs. I was so thrilled because my Google Reader was so full it's surprising it didn't just explode- or give me the message "Give Up" when I logged on!!

My excitement quickly turned to disappointment. So many posts by my fave bloggers were button pushing issues with the comments being more of a read than the original post. Mind you, this was on several blogs I read over the past few days- not just a couple!

Lately I've gotten a bit of 'vomit in the mouth' when reading some Christian blogs. They try to weave beautiful words together effortlessly, throwing in some 'theological' viewpoints of their own to make it religious and in the end you're left with some feel good post that, in my opinion, takes away from who and what God really is.

The comments are mind-blowing. Everyone states their {Biblical} opinions as fact- and I call them opinions because each person thinks that they are correct in their assessment of how God feels/thinks about X topic. I've seen comments from a little strange to seriously bizarre, like someone who stated they don't even think God's name is God so He doesn't really care how we use it....really??

How about this people:
What if we are all wrong?

What if God is more Holy than we can even conceive? What if His word has been so twisted and misconstrued in trying to make it fit what we want- make HIM fit into the box we need Him to fit in- that we are not even close to understanding it?

God is so big, so Holy that we should never be able to wrap our little human brain around Him. We should be in awe of Him, in fear of Him and be humble before Him.

Not act as though we have Him all figured out and therefore need to tell the world How.It.Is.

Jesus Christ is a real, living person that we are supposed to be in relationship with. He is not some 'being' to be discussed with the same flip-ability that we may use, say, while discussing the benefits of tile over carpet.

He is Holy.....more than we can conceive of. I think the prevalence of "Christian" blogs has made this fact more than a bit muted. So before you click 'post' or go to comment, getting in a heated I'm right/you're wrong debate take the time to think about His holiness, his infinite wisdom....and wonder if we are all getting it wrong- that none of us- even yourself (gasp) has all the answers on any given topic!

Mind you, there are several Christian bloggers out there who are very authentic and humble. I urge you to seek their words out- but most importantly, seek HIS word first and let HIS Holy Spirit speak to you on the issues you are struggling with or curious about. Don't take a bloggers word or anyone else's on what He has to say- learn for yourself!







4 comments:

  1. Hello, I am relatively new to the blogging community...started out on Myspace believe it or not when my family was going through a very hard time...and that turned into a (private blogs/documentation) over an issue that arose with an ex-daughter in law. I am actually about ready to start blogging again but am now on Youtube and was made a Partner, much to my surprise and my husbands. So, I guess I'm a vlogger (video logger) but I do see a lot of interesting things that Christians say and do that would absolutely turn me off. I reach out to a lot of unsaved people and there is opportunity to share the love of Christ. There has to be a balance...and there is a time to confront but so often we confront a person who is broken and lost and all they feel is condemnation. On the other hand there are times...when the sin is so blatant, why throw pearl before swine to have it trampled. And everyone/thing that calls itself Christian is not. Finding balance, staying humble but at the same time standing up for what we KNOW is truth according to the Word is sometimes hard to navigate. Great blog. Just a mom and grandma trying to make a difference. Karen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen, thanks for commenting! I agree, there does have to be balance...and I've often thought about how the (Christian) commenters who are in a heated debate look to unbelievers- because they do read Christian blogs! It's really sad to think how many then feel justified in their perception of what it means to be a believer....we should be very careful that our words reflect Christ, are uplifting and God glorifying at all times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Mirinda:

    I meant to hit the follow your blog button and couldn't find you again until today! Look forward to more blogs. Blessings...Karen

    ReplyDelete