Monday, April 12, 2010

Taming the tongue

" The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit." Proverbs 18:21

I'm sure you, like me, know that truth all too well.

The tongue has the power of life and death....

My tongue has brought about death often in our home. With my husband. With my kids. It's such a hard thing to overcome! I grew up in a home where speaking kind words was not the norm. If anything, the example set forth was to tear others down with words. It's something that has to be fought against each day of my life!

It is not the legacy I want left for my children. I want to break the chain of verbal abuse and tame the tongue. Some days are better than others, but by nothing but the Lord's power, I am doing better.

Ephesians 4:29

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.


Galatians 5:16

But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

2 comments:

  1. Miranda,
    Wise words. You're on the right track. Plus, it only takes about 3 weeks to start a NEW habit. Kind words are learned by some of us - but I'm here to tell you it CAN be accomplished! Not perfection, but kindness, as a rule. It's a fruit of the Spirit and leads our kids to repentance.
    God bless you in your journey - I appreciate your honesty and humility.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete