
I've finally found a few minutes to share what we are using this year. This will be our second year home educating. {fancy way of saying home school-I like it} Last summer my initial instincts were to go with a 'package' curriculum. I was so nervous about getting it all wrong! First, I wanted to use Sonlight, which many friends had recommended. I just never felt totally convicted about it though...and the price tag was hefty.
Then I found My Father's World. I loved this curriculum and was so excited about it. We had friends who used 'pieces' of the program but I wanted the whole package deal for all three kiddos and could not wait for it!
Then in June we went to the CHEF convention in Birmingham.
Mistake.
Don't get me wrong, the convention was so cool! Home school families everywhere that were happy, normal folks and OH-MY !! the curriculum !! I immediately experienced OVERLOAD and DOUBT.
So I purchased things that I had never even considered. Not one thing from MFW or Sonlight. Not even Abeka which my kids had already used the past couple of years!
Needless to say I was not thrilled about the choices I made and neither were my kids. They were top-notch curriculum but not right for US.
{See previous post on listening to the spirit when He moves you to something! See, I still haven't learned that lesson}
This year I have a 4th grader, 2nd grader and little kindergarten man. WOW.
I am most nervous about kindergarten! The other two went to a private, Christian school where they learned all the 'basics'. I have to teach my baby that has a speech delay and trouble identifying letters how to read. There has been a lot of prayer about this!
I am using My Father's World kindergarten package for Drew.
For Myrick {4th grade} and Lance {2nd grade} we are starting year one of the MFW 5 year cycle. This will cover everything except math, English/grammar, spelling and any extras like foreign language, electives, etc.
For math it is Teaching Textbooks {4th grade} and BJU Press {3rd grade-Lance is way advanced and far past 2nd grade math}
English/Grammar will be Pathway Readers for both kids. This program comes HIGHLY recommended from several families!
Spelling Power for spelling though I'm not sure if Lance will be ready for this. Myrick loves it!
Spanish will be with a local teacher once a week. Myrick is doing the Polished Cornerstones by Doorpost. Lance and Drew will be going through Pearables' Lessons in Responsibility for Boys.
Art class {yes, I do not teach them art yet even though I'm an artist!} will be at our local museum and science lab once a month at The Exploreum.
*Edited to ad we are going to be ordering several things from Vision Forum. Have you seen this site? Awesome stuff!!!
A major goal this year is to get them all volunteering and serving others. I am leaning towards Sav-A-Life {yes all 3- even the five year old- know what it's about} I think they could help with fundraisers, etc. Another thing I'd like to do is regularly visit a local nursing home. My kids love precious old folks :) It comes from having a relationship with their GREAT grandparents, which we are so thankful for.
It's going to be a great year! I would love to hear anyone's experience/thoughts with any of the items I just listed. Feedback is always a great thing!

I am anxious to see how MFW turns out for you. It looks like a great curriculum. I discovered it too late to use this year, but I am contemplating it for next year.
ReplyDeleteI'll post how it goes :) I am very curious how the 'cycle' program goes with teaching my oldest two. They are very close in age so I think it will help all of us have less headaches.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by!