Friday, May 14, 2010

Part II ~ Having 'THE TALK'.

Since I was a little late to the party on talking to Myrick about anything body or sex related I began with The Story of Me. Even though it is for 3-5 years old she still enjoyed it. This is also how she found out where babies really come from- not magically from the tummy like I had allowed her to believe! Her comment: That is really GROSS.

We quickly moved on to the next book, Before I Was Born, for 5-8 year olds. I was so nervous about this that I put it off for two months with Ethan practically begging me daily to just read it already! But this one tells- very tastefully- what sex is.

When I got to the part that actually describes what goes down, I read quickly and kept moving. She stopped me and said “Ummmm, is that appropriate?” and we both doubled over laughing hysterically! I’ve really been pointing out things to her that are ‘appropriate’ or ‘inappropriate’, like how other girls dress or act. This cracked me up for her to use that phrase! Through giggles and tears I asked did she mean was it appropriate for a husband and wife to do that OR for us to be talking about it? She gasped out “BOTH”!!!

The book made talking about sex much easier and best of all, it tells how God is behind it all: from bringing a man and woman together, to sex, creating a baby, to how our bodies are made and why we’re special. Why the big IT is special.

Next we will read What’s the Big Deal: Why God Cares About Sex. I haven’t gone there yet because we have had lots of little talks and questions along the way. She is very interested right now in learning about how her body works, getting your period, etc so I’m letting her take that route for now.

Please don’t put off talking to your children about this. If you do not form your child's opinion about their body and sex- from God's point of view- the world will do it for you.

Yes, I KNOW it’s hard for many of us and very uncomfortable but so worth it! And the parent's guide does discuss how to handle being uncomfortable having 'the talk' with some great suggestions.

I’m going to give away a copy of The Story of Me to one lucky family to help get you started! Leave a comment here telling me why you would like to win the book. If you’d like, share your stories of talking with your kids- I’d love to hear them!

For extra entries you may do the following, leaving a separate comment for each entry! Entries will be accepted until midnight CST on May 20th. Winner will be picked by random dot org!

*Follow this blog

*Subscribe to this blog via RSS

*Follow me on Twitter @OctBelleDesigns

*Tweet about this post/giveaway including @OctBelleDesigns and link in your tweet :)

18 comments:

  1. Well, I'm a lot like you in that we never talked about it growing up. I know my view of sex has been effected negatively because I only was told "Don't do it!" I know it will be a challenge come the time to talk to our kids about so any help we can get will help!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also subscribe on my Google Reader. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I am sooo proud of you mom. AND, I am so proud to see His wisdom through the eyes of your child. I think that speaks for itself, as far as the age thing goes and any concerns one might have.

    Now, my hesitation has been just about that. The ages you mention, etc. Not because I am personally where you are. I simply had to stick around to see what you had to say on the matter, and I am glad I did.

    Now, on your contest, since I already do all of the above, I shall leave your wonderful gift open for another mom who has younger children. Yay.
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was changing a little girl's diaper, my 4yo asked if her man parts had fallen off!

    erin at homewiththeboys dot net

    ReplyDelete
  5. I follow you on Twitter! @homewiththeboys

    ReplyDelete
  6. I follow your blog!

    erin at homewiththeboys dot net

    ReplyDelete
  7. AND I tweeted about it!

    @homewiththeboys

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've already started talking a little to my girls but don't really know how to go from there. This book sounds great!

    ~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  9. I follow you on Twitter! @jenniferajanes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Retweeted Erin's Tweet mentioning this giveaway and @OctBelleDesigns! @jenniferajanes

    ~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  11. My oldest is 9, and I know I need to start discussing this with him, but I'm SO not ready....this book would help!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm following you on Twitter as ChristiS! And I LOVE the tag for this post...brings back high school memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah! Following you on Twitter as @shelbylyn1982

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't have the talk with my oldest (who is about to turn 20) that was left to dad. I would like to be prepared IF I have to give the talk to my youngest (who is 3)!

    ReplyDelete